Operation Noah’s annual Supporters’ Event is taking place online in 2021. Consider the call to prophetic action and voice in advance of COP26.
At Operation Noah we believe the Church has an important role to play in tackling the climate crisis. In the lead up to COP26 we need to call for the strongest possible action on the climate crisis. COP26, a meeting of world leaders to discuss the climate crisis, is being hosted in the UK. Come and find out what you and your church can do to make the most of this historic opportunity.
We are delighted to welcome Chine McDonald and Josh Tregale to speak to us this year.
Chine McDonald is Head of Public Engagement at Christian Aid. She edited Rage and Hope: 75 Prayers for a better world, a Christian Aid book which was published in March 2021. Her second book, God is not a white man and other revelations, will be published in May. Chine will talk about Christian Aid’s work on climate change and the perspective of black British Christians, as well as her wider work equipping the Church to be a voice for justice.
Rev Dr Dave Gregory is a former President of the Baptist Union. He convenes the Baptist Union Environment Network and is Director of the John Ray Initiative, a charity with a vision to bring together scientific and Christian understandings of the environment in a way that can be widely communicated and lead to effective action. He is also a former meteorologist at the Met Office, Hadley Centre and the European Weather Centre and is also involved in helping churches engage with science, particularly through Messy Church Does Science. Dave will speak about the Baptist Union’s recent decision to make a divestment commitment. The decision was passed by an overwhelming majority of 98.5% after Dave co-authored a proposal to divest as a practical commitment towards climate justice ahead of COP26.
Josh Tregale is a young climate activist who believes that the prophetic voice of the Church is a powerful statement. He will talk about his experiences of being Campaign Co-ordinator for MOCK COP26. The online conference was organised by young people and aimed to improve on the original plans for COP26 after it was delayed by a year. Josh is also International Campaign Coordinator at Teach the Future, a campaign for climate education.
When you register you will be able to choose one of the following workshops:
- Why and how should churches divest from fossil fuels with James Buchanan and Bokani Tshidzu of Operation Noah’s Bright Now campaign
- Hold a Climate Sunday in the lead-up to COP26 with James Anthony from Climate Sunday
- Camino to COP with Melanie Nazareth of Christian Climate Action
- Science and the Bible with Revd Dr Darrell Hannah, Operation Noah’s Chair
- Eco anxiety and pastoral care with Revd Grace Thomas
- Climate and racial justice with Sarah-Jane Nii-Adjei from Christian Aid
- Support the Climate and Ecological Emergency (CEE) Bill with Jane King from the CEE Bill Alliance
- The Climate Emergency Toolkit with Hannah Bowring of Tearfund
Spaces on each workshop are limited and will be offered on a first-come, first-serve basis.